Southern California's own Phil Mickelson has been entertaining the crowd since the first round of the Northern Trust Open at the Riviera Country Club. Although Mickelson had been maintaining the number one spot, he played a rather conservative third round Saturday.
"Yesterday and today, I didn't play my best," said Mickelson in a post-round press conference. "I wasn't far off, I hit some good shots at times that didn't quite turn out. But, I was playing very defensive all day just trying to make pars."
Some say Mickelson has the advantage of sleeping in his bed every night. According to the Los Angeles Times, he flies his own plane from his home in Rancho Santa Fe near San Diego to Santa Monica Airport each morning.
Mickelson also brings out quite a gallery, including young fans who dream of playing the game.
"I'm appreciate of them being out here. I think it's great for the game," Mickelson told Patch. "I love that the parents took the time to bring them out here, expose them to the game and hopefully get them involved in playing."
Watch the video for more from Mickelson and highlights of the third round.
- For the LA Times story about Mickelson's commute by air, click here.
- For a live blog from Day Three at the Northern Trust Open, click here.
- For a story about how some Southern Californians make attending the tournament a tradition each year, click here.
- For a live blog from Day Two at the Northern Trust Open, click here.
- For reaction from Southern Californians about Day One at the Riviera, click here.
- For a live blog from Day One at the Northern Trust Open, click here.
- For the story about military moms-to-be who were honored at the Riviera during the practice round, click here.
- For a story from the LA Times about the buzz surrounding this year's tournament, click here.