Metro has produced video to highlight the second full closure of the I-405 during the weekend of Sept. 29 and Sept. 30, also dubbed Carmageddon II.
During the closure, the north side of the Mulholland Bridge will be demolished. When finished, the bridge will be about 10 feet wider and seismically retrofitted to the latest standards. It will be the third bridge demolished and reconstructed in order to widen the 405 Freeway and add a northbound carpool lane through the Sepulveda Pass.
Metro has also posted a webpage to promote the "Eat, Shop and Play Locally" campaign geared toward residents and business owners near the 405 who will be impacted that weekend.
Carmageddon II impact on drivers:
- From Sept. 8 to Sept. 9, there's a full southbound directional closure from the U.S. 101 to the Getty Center ramps from 11 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- From Sept. 15 to Sept. 16, there's a full northbound directional closure from the Getty Center ramps to the U.S. 101 from 11 p.m. to 9 a.m. The Mulholland Bridge will also close from that Friday at 10 p.m. to Sunday at 8 a.m. that weekend for roadway alignment and elevation adjustment.
- From Sept. 21 through Sept. 24, there will be a Mulholland Bridge traffic switch, roadway alignment and elevation adjustment. Mulholland Drive closes from that Friday at 10 p.m. to Monday at 6 a.m.
- Ramps will begin closing as early as 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 28, within the freeway closure limits. Lanes will begin closing as early as 10 p.m. on Friday.
- Full closure of the I-405 begins Saturday at 12:01 a.m. The northbound I-405 is closed from the I-10 to U.S. 101. The southbound I-405 is closed from the U.S. 101 to the Getty Center Drive ramps. The Mulholland Bridge and Haskell ramps close, as well as northbound U.S. 101 connectors from the I-405.
- The I-405 is scheduled to reopen Monday, Oct. 1, at 5 a.m.
Information courtesy of Metro
Patch sites will be covering Carmageddon leading up to the weekend of Sept. 29-30, and through the closures as well. Subscribe to your local Patch site's daily newsletter, Twitter and Facebook alerts to get Carmageddon news first.