.

Dreamland BBQ Fire Accidental Says Investigator

The popular Peachtree Corners barbeque restaurant's owners says they'll be back in operation in a few months.

The fire that heavily damaged Dreamland BBQ in Peachtree Corners on Wednesday, Jan. 16, was accidental according to Gwinnett County fire investigators.

"The fire was determined to be caused by a neon sign transformer located in the attic space," said Lt. Colin Rhoden, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department.

Rhoden said the sign was not being used by Dreamland but had been left there by the previous tenants.

"It caused an electrical arcing condition in the attic which resulted in the ignition," explained Rhoden. Because the cause of the fire was deemed accidental, there will be no further investigation he said.

"The building is a total loss," said Rhoden. The burning roof collapsed into the restaurant "causing substantial damage to the interior with very little being salvageable," he said.

But there is good news to report - the restaurant's owner plans to rebuild and hopes to have it open within a few months.

"The plan is to most definitely to reopen Dreamland," said Ashley Davis, spokesperson for the Birmingham, Alabama-based company. The Peachtree Corners location is one seven corporate-owned stores.

"We foresee several months before we reopen," said Davis. Because Dreamland leases the space, Davis said it will take time to coordinate with the owner and the insurance company before rebuilding could begin.

"We received a huge outpouring of sympathy from our customers via Twitter, Facebook and email," said Davis.

While Peachtree Corners customers wait for the restaurant to reopen, Davis said the Dreamland in Roswell would be an alternative.

Read also:

Fire Breaks Out at Dreamland BBQ Wednesday Evening

Resident Captures Dreamland Burning on Video

 

Keep up with Peachtree Corners news. Subscribe to the Peachtree Corners Patch’s free newsletter, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Robert J. Nebel January 26, 2013 at 04:19 PM
The previous tenant (current owner) was in there eight years ago. So, they left the neon transformer plugged in all this time?
Judy Putnam January 26, 2013 at 06:36 PM
That's a good question, I've put in a call to the fire department's public information officer to get an answer. I'll be back with the answer as soon as I hear.
Judy Putnam January 31, 2013 at 08:57 PM
Bob, I finally caught up with the fire department's spokesman and posed that question to him. He said that according to the fire inspector the transformer had apparently been left plugged in, the sign itself was not connected. The fire has been deemed accidental but it begs the question, who was responsible for the building inspection before Dreamland moved in?
Robert J. Nebel February 01, 2013 at 01:34 PM
Thanks Judy. My next questions would be: Is a plugged-in transformer something that does not appear out of the ordinary during an inspection? If a plugged-in transformer is something that is flat-out wrong, then is it something that can be overlooked during an inspection? Lastly, were there in fact, inspections over these years?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »